There is nothing as tasty as homemade kimchi. You really can't go wrong with this easy to make spicy pickled cabbage (the national dish of Korea). A special thanks to Joyce who kindly shared her recipe with me!
- Prep time: 2 hours
- 2 Napa cabbages
- half cup Korean Gochugaru pepper (course ground is my favorite)
- 1 teaspoon Salted shrimp
- half cup chopped ginger
- half cup chopped garlic cloves
- 5 green onions sliced, and chopped every 4 inches
- 1 cup fish sauce
- Quarter cabbage (it's best to cut the base in half, and pull apart, then do the same when you quarter it)
- Add salt between all the leaves of the cabbage generously (let sit for at least one hour to "sweat" (they should wilt)
- Mix the rest of your ingredients in a large bowl.
- Rinse salt from cabbage. It should taste a little salty, and have a limp texture
- Generously layer the mixture between each cabbage leaf.
- Roll the cabbage and place in air tight container.
- Let the cabbage sit for 3 days in room temperature
- Open lid to release gas and refrigerate.